Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rocking Baby to Rocking Mama...


The power is out and I’m sitting here in our basement with my family waiting out the tornado weather, listening to my son play the guitar and sing.  As he is playing and singing, I am recalling how when he was little he use to lie down on the couch every afternoon and ask me to sing him a “pretty song” and I would pick up my guitar to play and sing for him while he fell asleep for his afternoon nap.  And at bedtime each night he would say, “Rock a baby” and I would rock him to sleep.  Now, some 16-17 years later he is the one playing his guitar and singing, “Rock me baby like a south bound train. Hey, mama rock me.”  He has also learned to play the harmonica and he plays nicely.  So as we sit here with candles burning because there still isn’t any power, it’s almost like sitting by a campfire with soothing music to listen to and enjoy, and to help pass the time on this April evening with thunder rumbling like a soft bass drum in the background.  This is definitely about making every moment count…

No comments:

Post a Comment