Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Passion for Pink

It's February... and if we gave the month of February a signature color, it would have to be Pink.  Since my birthday falls in the month of February, it would be appropriate that I should have such a passion for pink.  Pink is the color of universal love.  Some may say red is the color for February because men generally give red roses on Saint Valentine's Day, but give me pink roses for Valentine's and I will be tickled pink!!


Pink has been my favorite color since I was a little girl like many little girls. My bedroom was covered with pink; pink gingham checked draperies, pink bedspread, pink dresser and pink shag carpet.  My bedroom made me feel incredibly happy!!  Some call it a "pink phase", as if you will grow out of it.  Who would ever want to grow out of such a magnificent color?!!!  I suppose I'm still in a pink phase and never grew out of it.  I can't imagine that I ever will.  I would like to be laid to rest on pink satin, or even better, pink silk chiffon!
I like to wear pink, dress my girls in pink and whenever I'm shopping for anything, if I see it in pink, it catches my eye right away tempting me to choose that color above any other color like those pink Cuisinart mixers.  Unfortunately, I've had a white one for years.  Then my kitchen isn't really pink, anyway.
Oh well, one can dream.  I have bits of pink accents throughout my home.  Paintings with pink roses, decorative plates with pink flowers adorn the walls of my dining room, pink tassels, pink tablecloths, and an abundance of antique pink milk glass that actually, my husband and I collected together.  Some day, when the kids are all grown, I plan on having a room dedicated to pink just for me.  It is such a soothing and cozy color for a room and I know it will become my favorite room.  Pink is also my oldest daughter's favorite color, and at nineteen it is still her favorite.
                                                         Victoria - Senior Prom 2010
It's great to have someone else who appreciates and enjoys a passion for pink as much as I do.  Come to think of it when you think of a color that people are passionate about in so many aspects of their life, pink would have to be the number one color.  Sure, others have other colors that they would say is their favorite color, if asked.  But the color that so many show such true passion for would have to be Pink.  
Elvis owned a pink Cadillac and he drove a pink jeep in the movie "Blue Hawaii".  He also wore pink shirts.
 
First Lady, Mamie Eisenhower wore a pink dress studded with 2,000 pink rhinestones to her husband's Presidential inauguration ceremony.  She also decorated their private quarters at the White House in so much pink that reporters called it the Pink Palace.  Now there's a woman after my own heart.  The 1950's became a decade that showed its passion for pink.   Pink poodle skirts were in fashion.  Retro pink kitchens became a fad during that decade, as well as, dyed pink poodles.  Zsa Zsa Gabor owned a dyed pink poodle and enjoyed wearing pink.

  
  












Hot-pink became a fashion icon after Marilyn Monroe wore a hot-pink evening gown while singing, "Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend" in the movie "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".  Madonna later imitated Marilyn in a similar hot-pink gown in her "Material Girl" video.
And let's not forget, Elle Woods who had a wardrobe that consisted of pink in "Legally Blonde".  
Victoria's Secret has their entire marketing of fashion centered around pink, using it as part of a logo on much of their lingerie whether it is pink or not.  It states, "Love Pink".

As you can see, pink is certainly a color with the potential to connect with people.  Pink is sexy and sweet; it's flattering, pretty, fresh, fun, warm, energetic in brighter tones and calm and soft in lighter tones.  It's daring and sassy; it says, "Enjoy life because the days are fleeting and you should make the most of It!"  Pink, simply put, makes you feel amazing!!!  So, I say, "Think Pink"!

As for the notion, that one will grow out of pink...  I say, you only live once; why not live it passionately?  And live it "in the pink"!

No comments:

Post a Comment